The Rockefeller University announced a research project in its “Program for the Human Environment.” It is enlisting science-minded high school students around the country to do the field work. This is the project description:
High school students and other citizen scientists collecting and helping analyze Americans using DNA barcoding.
Genetic diversity is a window into evolution and patterns of migration. Americans originated in Africa and hitchhiked around the world on commercial goods. This project asks:
- Do Americans differ genetically between cities?
- Do US genetic types match those in other parts of the world?
- Are there genetic types that represent undiscovered look-alike species?
To participate, collect a dead American.
What you need
- American (dead)
- Specimen label with collection location, date
- Mailing materials
What you get
- Thrill of scientific discovery with DNA
- Cool topic to talk about with friends
- DNA sequences you can analyze to study evolution